What comes as a big help at this crucial point for students bracing for the JEE Advanced 2018 exams, IIT-PAL lectures will now be available on the ‘SWAYAM’ platform of the HRD Ministry which offers students online courses to crack central exams.
With this, the IIT-PAL (Indian Institute of Technology- Professor Assisted Learning) can be accessed on mobile phones anytime.
The decision of making IIT-PAL more easily accessible
The decision was taken at the 52nd Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Council meet under the chairmanship of HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar in Delhi on August 20.
“IIT-PAL has more than 600 lectures in physics, chemistry, biology, and maths… They will now be available on Swayam platform in handheld form so that in coming years the dependence of students on coaching classes can be reduced,” Javadekar told reporters, as per IANS.
10 ways IIT-PAL can benefit you
- IIT-PAL videos and TV channels function under the name ‘Swayam Prabha’.
- There are four channels under IIT-PAL — one for Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology each.
- Biology, being an essential ingredient of the IIT foundation courses, can be easily reached and learned by watching these lectures — even if you’re sitting in a remote village.
- The videos under these channels were recorded mainly by IIT Delhi professors, but now also include other faculties like some Kendriya Vidyalaya teachers.
- Aspirants who cannot afford coaching classes can avoid the menace, as one only needs internet connectivity or a DTH (direct-to-home) setup for television to access this facility.
- Now, even that hassle has been reduced as the lectures have been made available through an app.
- The initiative is mainly headed by IIT-Delhi, but is partnered with IITs of Mumbai, Kanpur, Chennai, Kharagapur and Guwahati.
- Apart from just online interactions, consultation and queries can be provided and answered through e-mails and even phone calls!
- Each subject has its own channel that delivers fresh content as per the fixed course schedule for four hours every single day, two for class 11 and two for class 12.
- The lectures are broadcasted six times a day so that any slot can be picked by a student as per his/her own convenience.
“This is a great initiative to help senior secondary students… We need to help children from the rural backgrounds and from disadvantaged sections to enter the IITs,” IIT-D director V Ramgopal Rao told TOI.
These are the TV channels you need to switch on for your subject to watch IIT-PAL video lectures:
- Channel 19: IIT PAL: Biology
- Channel 20: IIT PAL: Chemistry
- Channel 21: IIT PAL: Mathematics
- Channel 22: IIT PAL: Physics
Study Webs of Active -Learning for Young Aspiring Minds (SWAYAM) portal was launched by the govt as a website, and then as a mobile app as well.
National Coordinators that have been appointed to ensure best quality content is produced and delivered. (Image: swayam.gov.in)
The biggest benefit of this portal is that if a student is studying in any college, he/she can transfer the credits earned by taking SWAYAM courses into their academic record.
The courses hosted on SWAYAM are in 4 quadrants:
- Video lecture
- Specially prepared reading material that can be downloaded/printed
- Self-assessment tests through tests and quizzes and
- An online discussion forum for clearing the doubts
How to get IIT-PAL on your SWAYAM portal
- In order to get the app, go to your Apple Store/ Google Play Store and type ‘Swayam’ in the search bar
- Further, download the app that looks like this:
SWAYAM app looks like this on your Android Play Store! (Screenshot)
- Now that you have it on your phone, open it and watch it transform your educational experience!
Do you think this app with video lectures and solutions of 50 years’ papers can replace your IIT JEE coaching? Tell us in the comments section below!